Association and Meeting Management Job Postings
Sea to Sky Meetings is busy helping manage conferences and events here in Vancouver and also around the world. Our team members know the best local suppliers by first name and could likely navigate around Greater Vancouver’s conference centres blindfolded! They also have their bags packed for upcoming conferences in countries like South Africa, Norway and China.
The associations we assist have really interesting projects underway and their members are engaged, dedicated and interesting. Even though it is in the background, helping health care professionals progress their work in cancer care and brain injury care makes each day at work mean just that little bit more…
Sea to Sky is always on the lookout for amazing conference and event planners and association management enthusiasts! New to the industry? Begin your job search by learning more about careers in association and event management below. We hire project assistants who are passionate about event planning and/or association management but light on experience. We hire project coordinators and project managers who are experienced, creative and client-focused professionals looking for like-minded team members and a work environment where the team manages the project (as opposed to specialist divisions). When the timing is right, along with the right applicant, we also hire interns who want an entry point to this very exciting career path.
If you’re interested in a career in association, conference and event management, read below and visit our job descriptions page to find out if one of the following jobs is right for you.
- Project Assistant
- Project Coordinator
Careers in Association, Conference and Event Management
Are you considering a career in the association and meeting management industries? Are you creative, open minded, accurate, diplomatic, cooperative and committed. Do you like to learn? Are you action oriented? Are you a strategic thinker?
Working for Sea to Sky provides you with insight into the association and meeting management industries that you may not gain in other related companies.
Sea to Sky is unique in how we are structured. Sarah Lowis and Ian Holliday, the owners, oversee each project. Teams are assembled based on the needs of the client, with team members actively involved in all aspects of the event (as opposed to the event being subdivided between specialist areas). This means that you will gain experience in all areas of event and/or association management, rather than just in one area (such as registration or member servicing).
Sea to Sky has very high quality standards. It is about being on time, on budget and exceeding the quality expectations of each client. It is about being creative within a fast-paced environment. It is about providing outstanding service that results in very satisfied participants, presenters, members, volunteers, sponsors, exhibitors, and all other stakeholders. Once you have experienced working at this high level, you will forever thus be benchmarking other planners against it.
Sea to Sky supports our team members’ education. We encourage each team member to volunteer for an association, such as MPI or CSAE. We support completing certifications in association and event management. We applaud when a team member takes a special interest in specifics, like accredited online education or incorporating social media into a traditional conference program.
Before applying to Sea to Sky. Association and conference management attracts team members who excel at multi-tasking, working to deadlines, communicating across cultures, and honing in on the smallest of details. How do you go about gaining experience so that you can join these exciting industries? Sea to Sky has some advice and information about what you can do:
- Join an association. Industry associations offer excellent networking opportunities and students are often able to join at reduced rates. See our resources page for an association website listing.
- Volunteer. Volunteering for a major conference or special event will give you hands-on experience and a chance to demonstrate your skills.
- Get connected. Check local media for upcoming industry events and ask to attend.
- Work in the hotel industry. You will develop valuable skills in customer service, multi-tasking and organization. You will also meet and work with meeting planners or have exposure to the catering department and the special events they organize.
- Find a mentor. Develop a relationship with someone who can be your mentor in the hospitality industry. Mentors have connections and are valuable sources of information and guidance.
- Set clear goals. Work out what you want for your career and your life, be prepared to start at the bottom and work hard.
- Understand the big picture. Do plenty of research and have an idea of the big picture of the industry and what is involved. Read industry publications and take courses.